Earned Income Tax Awareness Day
The Governor has declared January 27th, 2017 as Earned Income Tax Credit Awareness Day.
Did you know:
- The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) reduced or eliminates taxes that low-income working people pay and, if the credit exceeds the amount of taxes owed, a lump sum credit is paid to those who qualify.
- 436,000 Washington residents received $956 million in EITC refunds in 2016.
- EITC refunds help lift an average of 164,000 Washingtonians, including 81,000 children above the poverty level each year.
- The EITC’s total economic impact of about $1.43 billion supports jobs in Washington
- The EITC is one of the largest anti-poverty programs in the United States and EITC dollars have a significant impact on the lives of Washington’s low-income working individuals and families that strengthen communities.
- Thousand of Washington individuals and families who are eligible for the EITC may not be aware of the tax credit, leaving more than $270 million in federal credits unclaimed.